Wednesday, February 26, 2014

WHIST: The Wild Bunch



I wouldn't call The Wild Bunch a cult classic. I would call it a notorious film. Notorious for it's violence and it's'vibrant splattering blood. Which by the way looks extra beautiful in Technicolor. All of this is possible due to it's director Sam Peckinpah, the American equivalent of Sergio Leone.

As for why I haven't seen this film yet. Well, it's out of nervousness. The film itself is so widely hyped and praised, that it makes me nervous. Because, it really sets up for a lot of room for disappointment. And I don't care to be disappointed when it comes to one of my favorite genres, the western. Luckily, it's not a disappointment.




The Wild Bunch is an impeccable western. It may not have the twist and turns of The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. But cinematically and story wise it's right on par with The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. But, unlike Leone's work where action plays out in the wide shot. Sam Peckenpah uses closes ups, editing, and slow motion to really drive the violence home. These visuals really sell the story of a gang in a wild west that is becoming civilized. For the men pursuing them the wild bunch is the last gang of outlaws to hunt down. The film culminates in a final bloody shoot out that would make Scarface jealous.

As a fan of westerns I was quite pleased and as a fanatic of cinema I was quite satisfied. I would recommend this film to most of my film loving friends; who probably already saw it a long time ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment