Monday, July 23, 2012

To Aurora, Colorado with Love.




Condolences from Paul Vonasek:

The last place of safety we had in this all too often cruel world, ruined. For millions of people around the world the cinema is a darkened room where we can go and hide from our reality for a few hours. On Friday the 20th, 2012 that sanctity was broken. When James Egan Holmes killed 12 people and wounded 58 others. The average age of those killed was 26. People my age and Eli's age killed by someone of our own generation. Kids with futures ahead of them.

As a 24 year old filmmaker and frequenter of movie theaters I can't express how deeply upset I am about the whole situation. My heart goes out to the families of the victims of the shooting in Aurora, CO.  

You might not feel safe to go to the theaters anytime soon. But, please go. It might make you feel better knowing you shared a magical experience with someone else.  Never live your life in fear. 



From Eli Burnside:

In hearing this horrible news I was terrified, shocked, upset, angry, and pissed. But not just at Holmes but also to some of the parents who had very small children there. I was upset with them at first but then a movie theater isn't and shouldn't be a place for fear. It's a place of escape. I couldn't be upset with them.

But in all I was terrified, was he the only one, where there going to be other shootings, how could a person do this with no problem like he was taking out the trash. I was scared that people I knew might possibly fall to other incidents at other midnight showings.

I saw The Dark Knight Rises Saturday night at an IMAX theater, as much as I enjoyed and thought it was great filmmaking by Christopher Nolan, I noticed I got a bit nervous with every gunshot and explosion in the film not knowing what could possibly happen in the real world.

I wish the best and send my condolences to the families of this horrible tragedy. I feel bad that the victims were simply trying to enjoy a film with fellow fans and yet had what happen to them happen. They'll never get to have that moment of discussing the movie after the credits roll. Again I wish the best for their families.

From  Christopher Nolan:
 
"Speaking on behalf of the cast and crew of The Dark Knight Rises, I would like to express our profound sorrow at the senseless tragedy that has befallen the entire Aurora community.

I would not presume to know anything about the victims of the shooting but that they were there last night to watch a movie. I believe movies are one of the great American art forms and the shared experience of watching a story unfold on screen is an important and joyful pastime.

The movie theater is my home, and the idea that someone would violate that innocent and hopeful place in such an unbearably savage way is devastating to me.

Nothing any of us can say could ever adequately express our feelings for the innocent victims of this appalling crime, but our thoughts are with them and their families."

1 comment:

  1. I agree. Never live your life in fear. Well said.

    ReplyDelete