Friday, December 20, 2013

Anchorman 2: The Legend Definitely Does Continue

 
In 2004, one of the best comedies to hit the big screen arrived in theaters.  That movie was Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy.  It quickly became one of my all-time favorite comedies, with just the right amount of quick wit and stupid humor.  So, when I heard they were finally making a sequel (even if it has been almost a decade), I was beyond excited.  I had such high hopes and expectations, and this film delivered on most of them.  I was not disappointed.

Taking place nearly a decade after the events of the first film, Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues follows San Diego's top rated news team, led by Ron Burgundy, and their rise back to the top.  With the 70's gone and society changing, Burgundy and the team must find a way to once again claim their spot as the #1 news team, and New York's first 24-hour news channel just might bring them their chance.

Teaming up with Will Ferrell yet again is writer/director Adam McKay.  He's worked with Ferrell on several other films, including Step Brothers, The Campaign, The Other Guys, Talladega Nights, Land of the Lost, and the original Anchorman.  McKay and Ferrell also co-founded the comedy website, Funny or Die.  Also attached to this film as the producer is Judd Apatow, who also works with Ferrell and McKay on Funny or Die and was the producer on Talladega Nights, Kicking & Screaming, and the original Anchorman.  Apatow is one of the most widely known comedy producers in the world, starting heavily in television and now primarily working in film with many of the same actors including James Franco, Seth Rogan, Jason Segel, Paul Rudd, and Jonah Hill.

Coming back to the world of Ron Burgundy was a treat, because I love these characters.  Let's start with the obvious one, Ron Burgundy.  Will Ferrell is brilliant in this role.  He's able to fully transform into this character, becoming Ron Burgundy and not just playing him.  I believe this is why he's such a convincing and relatable character.  I don't see Will Ferrell when I watch these movies, I see Ron Burgundy.



And he's just the tip of the iceberg.  Burgundy's team consists of three extremely funny men who know how to make people laugh.  David Koechner, Paul Rudd, and Steve Carell work so well with Ferrell, that I couldn't imagine anyone else in their roles.  Seeing Carell as a second tier main character is always refreshing because he's able to do more with his comedy,s once the entire movie doesn't rest on his shoulders, not to say that he can't carry a film, because he can.  Just look at The 40 Year-Old Virgin.

Also, I have recently become a huge fan of Paul Rudd.  His style of comedy is bit more subtle than the others, but it also comes off a bit more sophisticated, which I like.  I'm excited to see where his career goes, especially since it was just announced that Rudd will be starring in Marvel Studio's upcoming Ant-Man film as the title character.



We also get some good performances from Christina Applegate and James Marsden and a plethora of cameos from Jim Carrey, Harrison Ford, Kanye West, Will Smith, Vince Vaughn, Tina Fey, Greg Kinnear, and many many more.  It was amazing seeing all of these stars pop up in the film, and the way they do is even better.

I think what I didn't like about the film was simply that I had so many expectations for what should happen, that anytime they didn't do something I was hoping for, I would get disappointed.  But even that didn't stop me from thoroughly enjoying this film.  I absolutely believe that this film lived up to the original.  Now, it may not be better, but it's damn good.  So, if you haven't gone out to see it yet, grab a friend and head down to your local theater and check this out.  If you were a fan of the first then you are sure to enjoy this one.

Josh's Rating:  8/10



Make sure to check us out on Facebook (Previously Untitled) and follow us on Twitter (@PU_FilmBlog)!!

No comments:

Post a Comment