Sunday, January 5, 2014

Josh's Top 10 Films of 2013


       

With so many great films to choose from, it was difficult to narrow it down to my ten favs, but here it is! Enjoy!


#10 - Enough Said


In this heartfelt romantic-comedy, we get to see James Gandolfini (in one of his final film roles) take on a character unlike the ones he's known for.  I loved his performance and the chemistry between him and Julia Louis-Dreyfus was perfect.  This was one of those films that didn't get a huge audience, but absolutely should have.  

Release Date:  October 11, 2013


#9 - Dark Skies


Being a huge horror fan and a huge fan of extraterrestrial movies, this one was right up my alley.  I wasn't sure how it was going to be, because you don't normally think of horror when aliens are involved, but this film did it right.  It hit all the great points of a paranormal horror flick while delving into the innate fear that come along with alien abduction.  Very well done, and Keri Russell was wonderful.  Also, anything with J.K. Simmons in it is worth a watch.

Release Date:  February 22, 2013


#8 - Pacific Rim


Sci-fi is one of my favorite genres, and this one was amazing.  It was so action-packed and had great visual effects, that any lack in acting or story didn't matter (not that there was much lacking).  This film kept me enticed the entire time and it was awesome seeing Charlie Hunnam and Ron Perlman together outside of their hit show, Sons of Anarchy.

Release Date:  July 12, 2013


#7 - This is the End


This crazy, end-of-the-world, meta comedy had me hooked from the first trailer I saw, where Danny McBride exclaims: "Hermoine just stole all of our shit."  It had me laughing the whole way through, and being able to see all of those people in one movie was great.

Release Date:  June 12, 2013


#6 - Fruitvale Station


This is the gripping true story of Oscar Grant, a young man who was shot and killed by a BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) Police officer at the Fruitvale BART Station in Oakland, CA in the early morning of New Year's Day 2009.  It follows him through his final day, showing how he was trying to be a better man for himself and his family.  It was emotional, intense, and Michael B. Jordan's performance was amazing.

Release Date:  July 26, 2013


#5 - Thor: The Dark World


This was my second favorite comic book movie of the year.  Filled with great performances, more Asgard, and more Loki than the first, Thor: The Dark World hammered the original (pun intended).  The ending was great and the mid-credits scene that tied into Guardians of the Galaxy was really cool.  And after seeing what special features will be on the Blu-Ray when it comes out in February, I'll definitely be getting it.

Release Date:  November 8, 2013


#4 - Mama


I didn't end up watching this film until December, and I have to say, I'm sorry I waited so long.  It was incredible.  Guillermo Del Toro's dark mind definitely outdid the other horror films that came out this year.  If you haven't seen this yet, and you're a fan of horror, do yourself a favor and go rent it now.  You won't regret it.

Release Date:  January 18, 2013


#3 - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug


The next chapter in the saga of Middle Earth brings us to Erebor, The Lonely Mountain, where we meet Smaug, a powerful and majestic dragon who has claimed the mountain as his own.  The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug is a wonderful continuation of this amazing story, with great performances, breathtaking landscapes, and the return of the beloved Elf Warrior...Legolas.  With wonderful visuals and great storytelling, this film puts into motion everything that is needed for the final film, which I absolutely can't wait for.

Release Date:  December 13, 2013


#2 - Man of Steel


One of the reasons I loved this film so much was because it was unlike any Superman mythos I've seen.  From the back-and-forth storytelling, bouncing from past to present and back again, to Hans Zimmerman creating a brand new score, without using the classic theme, and even the decision to not include the traditional "red underwear", this movie was exactly the Superman film I've always wanted.  One of my favorite things was seeing the amazing landscape of Krypton.  It was absolutely gorgeous.  And the cast was superb.  Henry Cavill did an amazing job as the Last Son of Krypton and held his own wonderfully against such big names as Kevin Costner, Diane Lane, Russell Crowe, Amy Adams, and Laurence Fishburne, all of whom gave great performances.  I bought the special edition Blu-Ray combo pack and it was one of the best video purchases I've made in a long time.  And with the sequel coming out in 2015, which includes Batman and Wonder Woman, my excitement for this franchise and the entire DC Cinematic Universe has skyrocketed.  I can't wait!

Release Date:  June 14, 2013


#1 - The Way Way Back


This heartfelt coming-of-age story is a must see.  I was able to connect with this film on a personal level, especially with the main character, Duncan.  Every time I've watched it, my opinions on have been the same...a wonderful film, with great characters, smart humor, and superb acting.  I will definitely watch this film again and again.  Hopefully 2014 has a film that touches me on a personal level the way this one did.

Release Date:  July 26, 2013



Don't forget to check us out on Facebook (Previously Untitled) and follow us on Twitter (@PU_FilmBlog)!

No comments:

Post a Comment