Sunday, January 5, 2014

Paul's Top Ten of 2013

This image perfectly sums up 2013. Don'tcha think?

If I still lived in a select city this list would have turned out differently. It would have included Hayo Miyazaki's The Wind Rises.  It might have even included Her and Inside Llewyn Davis. But, I don't so here's all the films I thought were worth my while and would gladly see again any day of the week. So hold on to your butts!


10.Iron Man 3
I was nervous about this film considering; I've never been a huge fan of the franchise. But, I thought this was the best Iron Man film. If it's not the best than, it is certainly the most entertaining.  And entertaining is what we should ask for from our comic book movies.

Kick back guys. You worked hard for your spot on this list.


9. Drew: The Man Behind the Poster
To hear other filmmakers ooze over Drew Stuzan's work and to hear his story can really turn your day around. Drew Stuzan is of course is the greatest poster designer of the 20th century. And this film both inspired me to watch every movie he's made a poster for and buy all of his posters. It's a reminder there are no worthy successors to his throne. Not even Mondo.


This looks like an amazing film.
8. Mud
Mud, is a rare treat. A modern Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer kind of adventure. With a great performance by Mathew McConaughey.

McConaughey has been killing it lately.
7. Stoker
Sexy, creepy, and suspenseful are the three words you could use to describe Stoker.  This film crosses the lines and it's quite rewarding. What else, would you expect from the director Chan-wook Park (Oldboy).
Creepy. 

6. Pacific Rim
This was one of the most complete films of the year. One could argue how is this any different from Transformers. Well, Transformers talked down the audience and assumed they were stupid. Pacific Rim however did the opposite. It gave you the basic need to know facts and then hit the ground running in a giant mech.  This film ignited the child inside. Instead, of treating me like a child.

One of the many beautifully choreographed fight scenes.
 
5. Jurassic Park 3D
Shut up! I know Jurassic Park came out 20 years ago. But, Jurassic Park 3D came out last year and breathed new life into this classic. Not only that, it introduced Jurassic park to a new generation of film goers. Either kids who were too young to see it on the big screen 20 years ago or weren't even born, yet.  Plus, nothings better than a raptor face in your face.

Even scarier in 3D.

4. The World's End 
Not the funniest of the series. But, it's still hilarious. In trade we received the most character driven film of the Three Flavors Trilogy. In the end you feel bad Gary King and you understand his motivations.

You've got blue on you.

3. Gravity
The most intense film I've seen in a long time. Along with, the best 3D I''ve seen all year. It's a film that needs to be seen in 3D on the largest screen. I'm 100 percent certain the drama will hold up when I bring the Blu-ray home. But, the experience will be gone. It's films like these are why you should go to theaters and see movies.

Size and scale played a huge role in Gravity.
My top two films on my list are the one's that inspired me the most this year. One inspired me to live my life and the other inspired me to persevere through the hard times. Both of them inspired me to become a better filmmaker.

2. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
I guess someone needed to be number two. Sorry, Ben Stiller. Everything is beatiful about this film. From the locations and the cinematography to the story and the actors. The only thing brutal about this film. Is that it's brutally hilarious. Don't miss out on this film because of the trailer. See it one big screen. It's the most entertaining film of the year and the most beautiful.


This film also inspired mt to start playing soccer again.

1. 12 Years a Slave
An excerpt from my unfinished review of 12 Years a Slave: "When I asked the woman who was buying a small popcorn and a medium drink what she was seeing tonight. She responded 'Thor, and it better be good; 12 Years a Slave gave me nightmares last night.'  In fact, 12 Years a Slave is one of the most horrifying and brutal films I've ever seen."

A well directed film with some great performances.

No comments:

Post a Comment